Monday, December 9, 2019

Frozen 2: The United Methodist Church

Sometimes, when I'm running or otherwise exercising hard, the endorphins flooding my brain combine with whatever I'm listening to on headphones to give me one of those faux-transcendent experiences. I think, Oh my heavens, this is so profound. I get teary-eyed and choked up at song passages or lyrics that I'd normally ignore.

Tonight's pseudo-profundity arrived courtesy of the Frozen 2 soundtrack. Cards on the table: I liked Frozen 2 just fine. It was, I recognized, exactly the sort of stuff that would have captured my fantasy life for months had I viewed it when I was a preteen. It's little gay me crack. That water horse Elsa rides? The quasi-superhero elemental battles? The gorgeous (for a cartoon) Kristof? All of it.

Old boring woke me recognizes the problematic colonial subtexts that the script attempts to grapple with. (The story ends up with a kind of utopian Canada arrangement.) And of course I know that there's a good bit of cynical cash-grab behind the whole sequel endeavor.

But I do like the songs. Lyrically, I think Moana's the stronger contender. But Frozen 2's "Into the Unknown" has a surprising climb up to some soaring heights:



Just a fun, stirring song. And Panic! At the Disco's cover is equally fun.

As I ran and listened, though, I started thinking about some expanded meanings for some of those songs.

Context: I just came from my church's quarterly council meeting. All went well, no big conflicts. Of course, unspoken were the conflicts facing the United Methodist Church. The pro-inclusion folk in Louisiana are circulating a letter to sign on to, asking our Bishop to agree to a moratorium on trials and disciplinary actions against clergy who violate the new (and incredibly restrictive/punitive) rules about LGBTQ issues. Schism is coming to the Church. It's now just a question of what kind of schism it'll be (sorta amicable? horrifically messy? mutually destructive?) and what remnant will survive.

It's a scary time, I reflected, going into the unknown. Suddenly, I started seeing all the Frozen 2 songs as commentary on the future of my Church.

Consider Kristof's Chicago-inspired "Lost in the Woods":
Again, you're gone, off on a different path than mine
I'm left behind, wondering if I should follow
You had to go, and of course it's always fine
I probably could catch up with you tomorrow
But is this what it feels like to be growing apart?


...
Up 'til now the next step was a question of how
I never thought it was a question of whether
Who am I, if I'm not your guy?
Where am I, if we're not together forever?

Where indeed? What can we as a church be without each other? I do fear that, in venturing into the unknown, each side following what it hears as the Spirit's voice, we're destined to spend time lost in the woods.

And in such a situation, what can we do? Anna's "The Next Right Thing" fits perfectly:
I've seen dark before
But not like this
This is cold
This is empty
This is numb
The life I knew is over
The lights are out
Hello, darkness
I'm ready to succumb

I follow you around
I always have
But you've gone to a place I cannot find
This grief has a gravity
It pulls me down
But a tiny voice whispers in my mind
"You are lost, hope is gone
But you must go on
And do the next right thing"

Look, I get that all this is a stretch, a juxtaposition of an overstressed brain high on running chemicals and caffeine. I'm reading way against the grain here, recruiting pop culture fluff into my own spiritual processing. But hey, if I were a pastor (which, under the Traditional Plan of the UMC, I'm not able to be), I'd be building a sermon around some of these songs. 

It's a confusing time. I'll take whatever vehicle the Spirit uses to impress on me some comfort and guidance, even if the ultimate message here is less a happy ending for the Church as I know it and more permission to let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment