Monday, September 16, 2019

Conservative Christians and Polite Persecution

Yeesh. I thought I was late last night!

It's tough to blog and work and get through opening week of a show. I forgot to pres "publish" last night, so technically the first of today's posts was yesterday's post.

I heard a podcast take on the Ahmari-French debate (the first one). I also started a podcast interview with Ahmari, who is impressively well-versed in Nietzsche. That one I'm only a few minutes into.

One of the takeaways for me from this intra-conservative (intra-Christian conservative) debate between the two men is their areas of agreement. Both agree that current culture is deeply inimical to Christians, that Christians are at least suffering from "polite persecution" (more the French side) if not facing looming state/physical persecution (Ahmari). The polite persecution bit came from the podcast conversation I heard, also between two conservative-leaning Christians (though neither seems enamored of Trump).

It's simply taken as a given nowadays in most conservative Christian circles that Christians (and most who espouse this view mean "true" Christians--conservatives like themselves) face hardships as great if not greater than those faced by ethnic and sexual minorities. There's a litany of anecdotal examples, some big (the bakers in Oregon) and some small (numerous tales of put-upon conservatives in college).

It's an odd turn from thirty years prior. I grew up during the rise and heyday of the Moral Majority and the Religious Right.

What would those leaders think if they viewed conservative Christian victim mentality today?

More tomorrow,

JF

No comments:

Post a Comment